Check out my five star predictions video!!
These are the 20 books that have been on my Goodreads TBR list the longest. I don’t think I need to give a run down on what each book is about since most of them are pretty popular. You might be wondering what the point of this post is then.
Well it is a way to hold myself accountable for the pile of books I physically own and haven’t read, and the habit of just adding things to my Goodreads shelves. Goodreads is a messy place to begin with– terrible design, user interface is fucking awful, and the consistent need I feel to add books to my want to read list is ridiculous.
I mean it is a great to keep track of my reading, but it also feels overwhelming to see the amount of books I haven’t read.
I picked these 20 because while there were others in-between some of these, they were ones I am no longer interested in, which means ONE day I will delete it off my Goodreads list, but today is NOT that day.
What I will be doing starting next month is putting the names of these books on a piece of paper, and throw them into a jar or most likely one of my many coffee mugs, and each month I will pick one out to read, two if I am feeling courageous.
ALL of these books sound interesting to me, and I want to be able to get to them. More and more books are being released, and I get some review copies so I keep pushing these back. Time to pick these up! I have physical copies of a few of them, and what I don’t have physical copies of I will check Scribd or Kobo store.
Anyway…I will keep you all posted on my little reading adventure!
I just wanted to pop this up here in case anyone is interested in what I have read and want to read for the rest of the year.
Best Book You’ve Read So Far in 2019?
Well this is a tough one to answer and not because I have read so many amazing books. I have read a total of 47 books so far and there’s only a handful that I have rated five stars, but so far I would say my favorite book so far is Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Best Sequel You’ve Read So Far in 2019?
Hands down the best sequel I have read is Shadowblack by Sebastien De Castell. I need to continue this series soon because it’s so great and funny!
New Release You Haven’t Read Yet, But Want To?
There are a few but one that I own and haven’t had a chance to read yet is Aurora Rising. I am a little nervous going into it because I really did not like Jay Kristoff’s Likelike, but we shall see.
Most Anticipated Release For Second Half of 2019?
I think the two I am most looking forward to is Gideon the Ninth and The Bone Houses. I see so many people with ARCs and I this is one of the few times I wish I could get my hands on a copy of either one.
ELANTRIS! By Brandon Sanderson. I know everyone is in love with every single book he writes but this was boring and repetitive. It took me forever to get through it.
A Curse So Dark and Lonely!! I have been really disappointed recently by the overhyped YA books, but I really enjoyed this one.
Favourite New Author?
Sarah Gailey! I read her book Magic for Liars and loved it!
Newest Fictional Crush?
I don’t have any fictional crushes haha. I am 33 and kind of over crushing on ficitional characters.
Newest Favourite Character?
Daisy Jones! She’s a terrible person but also kind of a badass!!
Book That Made You Cry?
None. Haha I don’t really get too emotional when reading books. Is that a bad thing?
Book That Made You Happy?
The two Spellslinger books from Sabestien de Castell made me so happy! Love the characters and the humor.
Favourite Book To Movie Adaptation You Saw This Year?
I finally got the chance to see The Hate U Give and I loved it!
Favourite Review You’ve Written This Year?
I have fallen behind on my reviews. You can find out why here: https://metalandthegeek.com/2019/06/09/where-the-hell-have-i-been/
Most Beautiful Book You Bought So Far This Year?
Hmmm I haven’t bought too many books but maybe my MinaLima edition of The Little Mermaid. So gorgeous.
What Books Do You Need To Read By The End of The Year?
SO MANY BOOKS!!!!!!!! There are quite a few I need to review soon.
- The Record Keeper by Agnes Gomillion
- The Relics Series by Tim Lebbon
- Red,White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
- The Wicked King by Holly Black
One of my favorite Booktubers The Farah Project created a tag where she built it around news pieces from throughout the year. I loved the idea so much that I decided to give it a shot. I tag any book bloggers that would like to answer these.
1. A book series you love: German ex-nurse Niels Högel admits in court to killing over 100 patients, making him one of the world’s worst serial killers.
The Great Coats Series quickly became one of my absolute favorite series of all time. It’s not just a great fantasy but the humor in these books made it some of the best books I’ve read in a long time.
2. An underrated book you want more people to read: Archaeologists uncover more than 300 gold coins from the late imperial period from a theatre in Como, Italy.
The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell. It’s been on Book blogs, and Booktube, but I don’t see people really talking about it, and I absolutely loved this book. I jumped right into the second one.
3. A book that didn’t meet your expectations: Sweden’s official Twitter account confirms Swedish meatballs actually originated in Turkey.
Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl. I loved her adult book Night Film, and I thought she could do no wrong, but I HATED THIS BOOK. I think the way she uses suicide as a plot device is fucking awful.
4. Most anticipated book buy: Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo joins Italian champions Juventus in a deal worth £99.2m, becoming one of the four most expensive players of all time.
City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab. I really just love everything she has written. Also Vengeful but I haven’t gotten a chance to read it yet.
5. Favorite character pairing: American actress Meghan Markle marries Prince Harry at a ceremony in Windsor Castle, making her a member of the British royal family.
Gotta be honest, I don’t care about pairings in books. It’s never been a component of a story that I am overly invested in. So much so that I can’t think of a single one that matters to me. LOL
6. A book that surprised you: Banksy work “Girl With Balloon” automatically shreds moments after being sold for 1 million pounds in London, re-named “Love is in the Bin”.
The Cruel Prince. I went in thinking it would be a typical YA where I would end up rolling my eyes every other page and DNFing it, and I came out really loving it.
7. A book with a beautiful cover: Twelve camels disqualified from the King Abdulaziz Camel beauty contest in Saudi Arabia after their owners used botox on their lips.
Children of Blood and Bone! Hands Down!!
8. A book you flew through: Kenyan marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge named UN Person of the Year for setting a new marathon world record.
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo!! So absolutely incredible!!
9. A book that took you the longest time to read: World’s new longest flight flies from Singapore to Newark Airport, New Jersey takes 17 hours 52 mins.
War and Peace. Not only isn’t a massive book, it’s also a book that did not age well, it’s gossip girl with men in Russia in the 1800’s, and it was just BORING.
10. Book of the year: Liverpool and Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah is named African Football Player of the Year.
The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi!! An amazing Sci-Fi that I read in a day!! I have to read the second book!!